Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Wonder Wednesday and Behavior

Hello friends!

Happy Wonder Wednesday! 
First... a little bit about my life right now...

I've just come back from the happiest place on earth... Disneyland! My husband had never been, and so I decided it was a MUST before we have kids! 👍

at 7:45 A.M. we are ready to go!

Obviously, he LOVED it. We also got to spend some time at the beach. It really was a magical weekend. Here are some of my favorite pictures-
And beach time of course!
Pluto


 
We got to meet Mickey... twice!

So now that we've talked about my 💥MaGiCaL💥 weekend, I want to talk to you about something that many parents and caregivers have trouble with.


Behavior.


Almost a couple years ago, I sat and listened to a speaker-Jo Mascorro- and she mesmerized myself and many others in the room. Not only was she funny and a joy to listen to, she is brilliant! If you get a chance to ever go to her conference, 'When Go to Your Room Doesn't Seem Quite Far Enough,' DO. IT.

After the conference I became inspired and wrote out short talking points that I printed for myself, my coworkers, teachers and of course parents. 


Your turn! Become INSPIRED💕

  • Kids don't rise to low expectations
    • This might be the quote I think about frequently with my students. Think about it, if you give your kids an easy out, they most definitely will take it! Let's give them some expectations that they can be proud of accomplishing!
  • True teaching happens all the time
    • I tell my teachers this frequently. You can literally teach All. The. Time. Kids are so curious, "why?" "why?" "Why?" "WHY?" 😂 Make a goal to teach your child one new thing each day.
  • Behavior IS communication
    • If they are pushing the toy away that you've got in front them, it probably means they don't want it!
    • If they squeal with delight when a song plays, that probably means they love it!
    • Pay attention to how your kiddo reacts to different things around them- You'll learn a WHOLE lot.
  • Do not use: Don't, Stop No...→ say what you want!
    • "Don't write on that!"→ "Write on the paper"
    • "Stop hitting your sister!"→ "Put your hands in your lap"
  • When you can't make a behavior go away, give it a time and place
    • "You can't hit your friends at school, but I'll tell ya what, you can hit your pillow after school when you get home!"
  • Validate their emotions!
    • Think about it, when us big people get upset, we just want someone to validate us! Validate that we are sad, mad, happy, frustrated, excited...
    • Kids like to hear this too- "I understand your mad that it's bed time, but I need you to sleep so we can have an awesome day tomorrow!"
Want more inspiring bullet points? You can get the list I created by sending me a message HERE.
Also, I found THIS awesome Blog post, created from Jo's lecture! It's quite a long read, but I definitely suggest it.


 Thanks for reading everyone!
ALSO! Hint Hint, Wink Wink... there will be a GIVEAWAY on my Instagram! Follow me for more information!




No comments:

Post a Comment