Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Encourage Speech Development

We’ve talked about ways to encourage language skills with your kiddos at home, but what about their speech skills? It’s one of the first things we become aware of as our children are growing. I get questions like, “He’s not saying his R’s,” or, “People have a difficult time understanding her.”
Don’t worry- you are not alone in these thoughts!


First, I will direct you to my website, Rollins SpeechTherapy, where I have a developmental list of the speech sounds your kids should have, and by when.

Further, for parents who are worried about their children’s speech development, here are some ways to help encourage those speech sounds at home.


  • Tell your kids how you’re making the sound as you say it…
    • For example- “When I say /p/ for ‘popcorn’, my lips come together like this!...”
    • OR “When I make the /s/ sound, it kind of sounds like a snake!”
Don’t do this every single time you hear or say that particular sound, but every know and then it’s fun to point those words out.

  • Minimal pairs- I love minimal pairs. Minimal pairs are two words that sound the exact same but have one difference.
    • For example- shoe/two, snail/nail, pad/bad

I can't read where I got this from, if you know of it's owner please let me know!
If your kiddo has difficulty with a particular sound, take their challenging sound with the sound they are producing and show them the difference.
            “I heard you say ‘nail’, but you’re looking at a sssnail! He is a cute ssssnail!”



There are also a variety of books available that could help encourage speech sounds.

I have many of these books referenced on my Pinterest page; take a look! There are also fun ideas to do with books, crafts, and more!


You could also make your own book! As you can see, I have made my fair share of books to encourage speech development. They don't have to be fancy (seriously... mine isn't!), but if you turn it into something fun, the kids adore them! PLUS! You aren't too sad if they get torn or ripped 😉!

With "The Smashing Snail", I had taken those small hammers from 'Don't Break the Ice!', and had kiddos smash different items throughout the story. They LOVE it, and they don't mind saying their sounds over and over while the sssssmash!





Thank you for reading, and also thank you to those of you who send me questions! They inspire me as I write my blogs and Instagram posts.

Keep it UP!

P.S. I'm going to Disneyland this weekend! I can't wait to tell you about my adventures when I return!




No comments:

Post a Comment